Experienced Litigator Known For Results

office sign for Patrick Flynn, Attorney at Law, 517 West Broad Avenue

What do I do after a car accident?

On Behalf of | Feb 21, 2022 | Motor Vehicle Accidents |

Statistically, just about everyone will be involved in a motor vehicle accident, given enough time. It is just a fact of life, especially here in Albany. But, knowing what to do after the car accident can make being involved in a car accident much less scary.

Make sure everyone is OK

The first thing to do is make sure everyone, including the driver, is OK. If someone is unconscious or looks severely injured, do not move them. Just wait for first responders.

Call first responders

Once an accounting of everyone’s welfare has been done, call 9-1-1 immediately. If there were sever injuries, make sure the dispatchers know. Though, do not lessen the severity of the car accident or make is seem like first responders are not needed.

Move the car

After the call to 9-1-1, if the car is drivable, get it to safety. Pull off the road or into the hazard lane. Turn off the engine, and put on the hazard lights. If the car is not drivable, then get everyone in the car to the side of the road safely. Staying in the car that is in the middle of the road is not safe.

Document, document, document

Most drivers now have a dashboard camera, which will take care of documenting the accident and aftermath. However, if one does not have a camera, they should take a few pictures before moving the car, and then more pictures after to document as much of the car accident as possible. Next, exchange information with the other driver. Take a picture of their car, including license plate, driver’s license and insurance card. Be sure to get the police officers badge number and name. Look around for possible witnesses and get their information.

The key is getting as much information as possible to prove liability in any subsequent Albany, Georgia, personal injury lawsuit. Now that everyone is safe and the accident documented, it is time to call the insurance company and, if needed, an attorney.